Thursday, September 10, 2026

A Laptop You Can Upgrade Again? Maybe We Took a Wrong Turn Somewhere.


There was a time when buying a laptop didn't necessarily mean choosing its final specification on day one.

Not enough RAM?

Upgrade it later.

Hard drive getting a bit slow?

Replace it.

Need more storage?

Open the bottom panel and put something bigger inside.

Battery getting old?

On some laptops, you didn't even need a screwdriver. Slide a couple of clips, pull the battery out and put a new one in.

Then somehow we decided all of this was terribly inconvenient.

So we started gluing everything together.

We Got Better Laptops. But We Lost Something.

To be fair, modern laptops are fantastic.

They're thinner, lighter, faster and considerably more power efficient than the chunky machines many of us carried around years ago.

Some can run almost an entire working day without looking for a power socket.

I wouldn't trade all of that progress just to get a removable battery back.

But somewhere along the way, upgradeability became something unusual rather than something normal.

RAM started getting soldered.

Storage became harder to access.

Batteries moved inside the chassis.

Components became increasingly integrated.

And eventually we arrived at a strange situation where a perfectly good laptop can become less useful simply because one part of it is no longer good enough.

That's Why Upgradeable Laptops Get My Attention

Whenever a manufacturer starts talking about repairability or user-accessible components again, I'm interested.

Not because I desperately want to spend Saturday afternoon dismantling my laptop.

I've done enough of that over the years.

It's because I like the idea that buying a computer doesn't necessarily mean accepting exactly the same machine for its entire life.

Storage requirements change.

Batteries deteriorate.

Sometimes you need more memory.

Sometimes a component fails.

Being able to replace one part instead of replacing the entire machine seems like an incredibly obvious idea.

Yet today it can feel almost revolutionary.

That's a little strange.

Thin Became the Specification Nobody Asked For

I think part of the problem was our obsession with making everything thinner.

For years, every new generation of gadget had to lose another millimetre.

Phones became thinner.

Laptops became thinner.

Bezels became thinner.

Eventually manufacturers were showing side profiles during product launches as though reducing a laptop by 1.7mm would fundamentally change our lives.

And yes, thin laptops are nice.

But I'm not sure I'd notice if my laptop were two millimetres thicker.

I would notice if I could replace its battery after four years.

That's a trade I'd seriously consider.

Upgrading Was Part of the Fun

There's another side to this that probably only makes sense if you've been playing with computers for a long time.

Upgrading them used to be fun.

You'd buy more RAM, install it and suddenly the computer felt better.

Swap the old hard drive for an SSD and it felt like you'd bought an entirely new machine.

Storage running low? Put in a larger drive.

There was satisfaction in improving something you already owned.

Today, the upgrade process often starts on the manufacturer's website.

8GB or 16GB?

512GB or 1TB?

Choose carefully.

Because you may be living with that decision for the next five years.

That's convenient for manufacturing.

I'm not convinced it's always better for us.

Maybe Longevity Should Become a Feature Again

The gadget industry spends enormous amounts of time convincing us that the next device is more sustainable.

Recycled aluminium.

Smaller packaging.

Less plastic.

More efficient processors.

All good things.

But there's another sustainability feature that isn't nearly as glamorous:

Keep the gadget longer.

A laptop that can stay useful because its storage, memory or battery can be replaced has something valuable that doesn't show up nicely on a benchmark chart.

Time.

Give me another two or three useful years from a machine and suddenly upgrading doesn't look quite as urgent.

And after more than 20 years of watching computers come and go, I've started appreciating that more than another tiny reduction in thickness.

MY TAKE

I don't want to go back to five-kilogram laptops with enormous power bricks and batteries that last 90 minutes.

Technology moved forward for good reasons.

But progress doesn't mean every old idea was bad.

Sometimes we solve one problem and accidentally create another.

So if manufacturers are starting to think seriously about laptops that are easier to repair, upgrade and keep running longer, I'm interested.

Maybe the future of laptops isn't another AI button or another millimetre shaved from the chassis.

Maybe it's something considerably less exciting.

A screwdriver.

Funny how something that used to be completely normal can suddenly feel innovative again.