Friday, September 4, 2026

We Were Mapping Wi-Fi Networks in 2005. Look How Far Wireless Has Come.


Back in October 2005, I posted something on Gadget Geek about wireless network discovery, mapping and analysis.

That sentence alone makes me realise how long this blog has been around.

At the time, Wi-Fi still felt a little bit like magic. You could open a laptop, scan the air around you and suddenly discover wireless networks that you couldn't physically see.

Finding them, identifying the access points and mapping where they were located was genuinely interesting.

I wrote about it here:

Wireless Network Discovery, Mapping and Analysis - Gadget Geek, 2005

Twenty years later, we are still doing essentially the same thing.

Except Wi-Fi itself has changed enormously.

From Finding Wi-Fi to Understanding Wi-Fi

In the mid-2000s, simply discovering nearby wireless networks could be interesting.

Today, that's the easy part.

Modern wireless analysis can tell us far more about what's happening around us: devices, access points, channels, congestion, interference, authentication, network topology and even whether an unknown device suddenly appeared on the network.

And the spectrum itself has expanded.

We have moved from the Wi-Fi world many of us remember around 2.4 GHz into 5 GHz, 6 GHz and now Wi-Fi 7.

Modern professional wireless tools can analyse all three bands, identify connected devices, map network topology and look for things such as unknown clients or access points using open authentication.

The tools became considerably more sophisticated.

But the basic question hasn't really changed:

What's out there?

The Gadget Has Changed Too

This might be the part I find more interesting.

Think about what you needed for serious Wi-Fi exploration around 2005.

Usually a laptop.

A compatible wireless adapter.

The right drivers.

Some software.

Sometimes a GPS receiver if you wanted to map what you discovered.

Today, a smartphone in your pocket already contains more networking capability than many of the machines we were carrying around back then.

And Wi-Fi itself has become almost invisible.

We don't get excited when a café has Wi-Fi anymore.

We get annoyed when it doesn't.

That's probably the biggest indication of how successful the technology became.

Some Technology Becomes Boring Because It Won

People normally talk about technology becoming obsolete.

But there's another possibility.

Technology becomes so successful that we stop noticing it.

Wi-Fi is one of those technologies.

Twenty years ago I was writing about discovering wireless networks.

Today I walk into my house and probably have dozens of devices quietly communicating over one without thinking about it.

Phones. TVs. Cameras. Consoles. Tablets. Smart home devices. Laptops.

Wi-Fi went from being the gadget...

...to becoming the invisible infrastructure behind practically every gadget.

FROM THE GADGET GEEK ARCHIVE

This article was inspired by something I originally posted on Gadget Geek in October 2005:

Wireless Network Discovery, Mapping and Analysis

I'm going to revisit more posts from the old Gadget Geek archive occasionally. Some will look hilariously outdated.

Others might remind us that technology changes much faster than the ideas behind it.

MY TAKE

The fun thing about maintaining a technology blog for this long is being able to look back at what we once considered interesting or cutting-edge.

The 2005 post isn't something I want to rewrite or hide.

I want to keep it exactly where it is.

Because twenty years later, it tells a much better story.